Solera is the global leader in risk and asset management protection software and services to the automotive and property marketplace. Accumulating massive amounts of data from across the globe enables Solera to be the leading source of intelligent information for the world's insurers and their customers. Our ability to deliver intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology. We empower automotive OEMs, insurance carriers, automotive repairers, suppliers, dealers, end-consumers, and many other participants within the automotive and risk management industries to make better decisions faster with data-driven insights.
Our team is composed of dedicated and disruptive innovators who are committed to building the future of Solera. We wake up every day hating what we did yesterday, so that we can do it different today and change the world around us. Our playground consists of connected car, connected home, wearables, IoT, 3D, AR, and things that don’t even exist... yet.
The Global Data Team works closely with R3PI, and partners with other internal teams, customers and third parties (such as start-ups and academics) on cutting-edge data-driven innovations. Our team is growing at a rapid rate, which is why we’re looking for a passionate and entrepreneurial Senior Director of Data Science to lead our team as a founding member of the Solera Global Data Sciences and Services organization.
We’re looking for someone with a proven record of building data-driven insights and revenue generating solutions that drive transformational innovation. This role will play an important role as a business and technical leader and innovator who can solve complex business problems and demonstrate the art of the possible. This position requires domain expertise in the automotive and property insurance industry, automotive repair, Computer Vision (CNN), Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing as well as large scale data analytics.
How You'd Kick Ass:
- Define and Execute Both the Business and Technical Direction of Large Scale Projects. You will strategically align and work with the development and engineering teams to deliver cutting-edge data-driven solutions for our customers. You will perform market research of new projects, create revenue forecasts, and project manage selected initiatives for our Global Data team.
- Define the Tools and Framework for our Research. You will conceptualize new research ideas while building prototypes and proof-of-concepts both individually and in collaboration with other data scientists. You will identify external sources of data (open data, social media data) to combine with existing data sources for new insights. You will provide technical leadership of data platform design and implementations while framing our data/analytic capabilities to describe our future strategic vision.
- Initiate Data-Driven Innovation & Build Capabilities of a Highly Talented and Dedicated Team. You will mentor, train, and work along-side a group of data experts to create disruptive technical solutions that will help our customers gain a competitive edge in the digital world. You’ll also contribute to growing a culture built on passion and dedication, while holding the team accountable to achieving the highest code standards and operational excellence.
- You’re a Data Expert. You have extensive experience working with Big Data ecosystems and have strong experience in big data analytics using technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Hbase, Solr, & NoSQL. When you’re not at work, you’re attending local meet-ups to learn about the latest Big Data and Analytics developments and acquiring as much knowledge as possible from other early adopters and like-minded domain experts.
- Passionate About Technology. You are inspired by exploring technology, experimenting with the latest innovations, and tinkering with the latest trends to identify cutting edge emerging technologies to improve and add additional capabilities to the existing ecosystem.
- You Still Get Your Hands Dirty. You have strong experience leading managing a team of engineers, but that doesn’t stop you from tinkering with the latest technologies on the market. You’re the type of manager who leads by example, and at any point you’d be able to jump into any role on the team and contribute wherever necessary.
- Mission Motivated & Self-Starter. You have a knack for finding solutions that reduce efforts for the rest of the team and are obsessed with streamlining development and operations. You possess the initiative to proactively identify and resolve technical issues and opportunities, and are relentless and passionate to get an impressive job done.
Critical (80) Requirements:
- Master’s Degree or PhD in relevant field, such as computer science, natural language processing, applied mathematics or a related discipline
- 5+ years of experience as an engineering leader, including building and scaling an engineering team
- 3+ years of industry experience in large scale data mining and analytics
- Experience in big data analytics (Hadoop, Hive, NoSQL, Spark, Shark, Hive, Mahout, Impala, Solr, HBase, Pig, Cascading)
- Experience producing and rapidly iterating minimum viable product demonstration/prototype
- Experience working with scripting languages like Ruby or Python, familiarity with web frameworks
- 3+ years of experience with data analysis & visualization using tools like SAS, R, Matlab
- Experience implementing supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques, classification, clustering and collaborative filtering
- Ability to conceive of new data driven products, features, and technologies
- Ability to track down complex data integration issues, evaluate different algorithmic approaches, and analyze data to solve problems
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and motivated by complex technical and business challenges
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies, tools, and techniques
- Results driven with the ability to prioritize and focus on ideas and features that will have significant, measurable impact as defined by your interaction with stakeholders inside and outside the company
- Ability to set and meet project objectives & milestones
Desired (20) Qualifications:
- Experience with one or more Solera customer verticals
- Experience working with IoT
- Competitive salary + Bonus opportunity
- Unlimited PTO
- Great medical, dental & vision plan
- Startup-like environment with a non-hierarchical team
- Work directly with the office of the CEO
- Evaluate newest technologies for R&D
- Work with leading technologists of their fields
- No cubicles
- Access to the tools and technologies you choose to get the job done
- Truly international team, divided across Dallas, London, and Zürich
Solera was founded in 2005, it now operates in over 80 countries with over 200k customers. With over 40 acquisitions since being founded Solera has in excess of 6,000 associates that are committed to delivering excellence that further Solera’s position as a global leader in data & software for automotive, home ownership and digital identity management in its market segments.
Solera’s founder, Chairman and CEO, Tony Aquila, is recognized as a visionary innovator. He was named national Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year, the world’s most prestigious business award for entrepreneurs. Learn more at www.solerainc.com. Also view how our uncommon culture translates into uncommon giving through our Lift to Life Program at https://vimeo.com/82390735.